Sunday, September 28, 2014

My First Bunting Project

I've been looking at bunting items all over Pinterest and Etsy and I thought I'd give it a try on my own.  I decided I wanted the flags to be double-sided... fabric on both sides. What I learned is that it takes quite some time to do the prep work like cutting all the individual flags.  I love the end result and I plan to make another one that is also double-sided but I will use the same fabric for both sides... I think it will be more versatile that way for hanging and displaying.


I used my Silhouette Cameo to create the paper templates I wanted to use.  Then I got into the labor-intensive part of cutting, cutting and more cutting. For my first project I decided to use a black-print fabric for the back side of the flags.  I sewed the pieces together and trimmed them to 7" height in preparation for the binding tape.

I cut several 2" strips of a black & white fabric I had in my stash and sewed all the piece together.  I used my Simplicity Bias Tape Maker to create single sided 1" binding.


Here is the completed single-sided binding tape.  But I need double-sided binding tape so...

I passed the folded tape through the machine once more and voila!  I have my own custom-made 1/2" tape binding.  That bias tape maker sure came in handy... it would have taken me a very long time to do the binding manually with the iron.

I attached the flags to the binding tape and left 12" at the end.

This is the strip with all 45 flags attached.

Here is the bunting hanging on our back fence... 27 feet is quite a strip!

Here is a close-up of the flags... I love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment